The Pilot

The Student News Site of Fort Hamilton High School

The Pilot

The Pilot

Club Spotlight: J-Walkers

“To walk like Jesus” is the purpose of Fort Hamilton’s Christian club, J-Walkers. The club was created in Fort Hamilton High School in 2019 by students who approached club advisor, Mr. Smalls, in hopes of creating a welcoming

environment that allowed students to develop their faith and build relationships with other Christian students.

Mr. Smalls sees J-Walkers as somewhere students may “learn what God’s love is like” and how to apply the teachings of the Bible to life “here and now.” A weekly meeting begins with games and break time where students are encouraged to converse with each other while worship music plays in the background.

Mr. Smalls says that he would like to see more of the freshmen and sophomores join. Club members, meanwhile, want to participate in more events.

“An event I would like to see in J-Walkers is a prayer gathering like See You at the Pole, which is a student-led prayer group in front of a school flag,” said Club President Andrés Carrillo. “Events like this can lead to prayer over more than just the school and students in the school but world issues that show the pain and suffering many humans are undergoing. A gathering like this, where we can pray for those suffering, would help lift the mood and spirits of those impacted.”

The J-Walkers owes much of its success over the last few years to the Area Youth Ministry (AYM), a nationwide non-profit Christian youth organization that connects high school students with other like-minded peers and mentors. AYM was founded in 2018. Its vision is to go beyond the church walls — to provide students with caring mentors and work with clubs like J-Walkers. The organization itself is not a church, but rather a community of people united in their devotion to their faith.

During a time when club attendance was very low, the club was introduced to AYM, which assisted and empowered the leaders of the club while providing the tools needed to make a meaningful impact within the school. The organization teaches lessons that help club members wrestle with tough questions about Christianity, such as, “Are science and faith compatible?” and “Why would a good God allow suffering?” These lessons not only challenge students to think deeply about their faith, but also foster the kind of critical thinking skills expected of students in college.

The collaboration between J-Walkers and AYM has afforded club members opportunities beyond the four walls of Fort Hamilton. Carrillo and fellow J-Walker Norberto Castillo connected with AYM to organize a Christian retreat in New Jersey called “The Word of Life Snow Camp Retreat,” which club members attended this past Regents week. 

Campers had the option to choose a program from one of the five sessions available. The retreat included a number of indoor and outdoor activities like volleyball, basketball and soccer tournaments; snowboarding; and worship concerts; and “breakout sessions.” The breakout sessions led campers in discussions about the existence of God and offered training for those ready to give testimony and spread the gospel to others. Members of J-Walkers found the retreat to be a meaningful experience. Former believers said they had a chance to rediscover who God is in their life. 

The club advises people who are facing crises that they don’t understand and seeking spiritual guidance to consider attending a meeting with J-Walkers. The club maintains that Christianity is about more than religion; it is about relationships, community, and love.