The Pilot

The Student News Site of Fort Hamilton High School

The Pilot

The Pilot

Fort Bowling Phenom Takes City Title

Nothing is more satisfying than achieving one’s goals. For Fort Hamilton’s very own Aidan Anastasi, a graduating senior, his dreams have become a reality. 

Anastasi won the PSAL New York City Bowling Championship on November 20th in Ozone Park, Queens. 

Since discovering a love for bowling at just eight years old, Anastasi has climbed his way up to become the number one ranked boys bowler in the city. Of course, reaching the top of the mountain wasn’t an easy task. 

Bowling to me is a fun sport and challenging because it’s both a physical and mental game,” Anastasi told The Pilot. “Most people do not realize how much you have to learn about oil patterns, bowling bowls, throwing style, lane positioning, your approach, and adjusting to lane conditions.”

In order to make his way into the championship, Anastasi had to place among the top three bowlers from each borough, which would guarantee him a shot at competing in the finals. After those 15 were determined, the top 35 bowlers (by average) from the regular season advanced to the city finals. There, each of the finalists bowled three games. 

The scores of the three games were added together, and the bowler with the highest series of wins got to walk home with the title of champion. Anastasi was crowned champion, something he had worked to achieve long before he arrived at Fort Hamilton. 

“To become the number one bowler in New York City in my senior year of high school is an amazing feeling,” said Anastasi. “I am proud to be representing Brooklyn and Fort Hamilton High School.”

One person who has witnessed Anastasi’s growth, both as a student and bowler, is Fort’s Boys Bowling Varsity Coach, Anthony Tolento. 

It’s been a pleasure coaching Aidan for the last three years,” said Coach Tolento. “I’ve watched him progressively improve every year to become one of the best bowlers in the city. This year’s championship win is well deserved. He has worked hard to get to this point.”

Now, as Aidan’s bowling run at Fort Hamilton comes to an end, he looks forward to going to college and continuing to play the sport that has been such an important part of his life.

“I am sure bowling will always be a part of my life because I enjoy the challenges that come with the sport,” he said. “I would love to bowl professionally, but for now, it is my hobby. But you never know what could happen in the future.”

Coach Tolento poses for a photo with Aidan Anastasi