The Pilot

The Student News Site of Fort Hamilton High School

The Pilot

The Pilot

Falling Stars: The Pilot’s Advice Column

Dear readers,

It’s good to be back! Like the stars that turn around us, the second marking period comes to a close. Congratulations on your achievements! You’ve done well and put in your best effort. As we enter the next marking period, consider employing some of these Starcatcher-approved strategies to support yourself in achieving your goals!

1. The Pomodoro Technique

Consider trying the Pomodoro Technique if you seek an effective way to complete homework. This technique is when you break your work into focused 25-minute intervals. Once you finish a 25-minute interval, take a 5-minute rest. After doing this four times over, take a longer 30-minute break where you can get water, eat a snack, and recharge. This technique not only increases concentration, but also prevents burnout by allowing you to give yourself regular breaks. Give it a shot and see how this technique can boost your efficiency and confidence in getting work done!

1. Set a proper sleep schedule!

While most students stay up late for various reasons, a good sleep schedule could be the answer to enhancing yourself and your abilities. For example, tell yourself that you should be in bed by 10:30 PM (a flexible deadline) but be asleep by 11:15 PM (a firm deadline). This practical approach will ensure you get the proper amount of sleep you need to be productive during the school day!

iii. Foster good connections

Humans are social creatures, and the key to your success is using those connections to bolster yourself. Find a friend who will be open to help you study and if you need multiple people, find a study group where you all can study and talk specifically about the topic. This not only allows you to make new and strengthen pre-existing friendships but also allows you to get multiple perspectives and become nuanced and well-prepared for your work.

Sincerely, 

The Starcatcher