The Pilot

The Student News Site of Fort Hamilton High School

The Pilot

The Pilot

Fort Football Team Headed in the Right Direction

For the first time since 2017, the Fort Hamilton Tigers hosted a playoff game. While the last few years have tested the team’s resolve, this year’s Fort squad’s perseverance and teamwork paid off. All the hard work, dedication, and sacrifice yielded not only a home playoff game, but also clear signs that the program is headed in the right direction.

Portraits USA

Head Coach Daniel Perez guided the Tigers through a regular season that saw the team start 0-2 before righting the ship and finishing with a 5-3 record.

“Despite our 3 losses to the top teams in the division, our team’s record indicates a successful season,” he said. “We demonstrated an ability to compete with the better teams and our overall winning record is a testament to our team’s hard work and dedication.”

The team’s last two wins of the regular season, a combined 60-8 defeat of Flushing and Stuyvesant High School, were proof that the team has been gaining confidence and trust in one another. Its strong end-of-the-season performance, along with a strong season by the Boys Junior Varsity team, led by Coach Domenico Delisi, points to a foundation for sustained long-term success. 

Despite a disappointing loss to McKee/Staten Island Tech in the first round of the playoffs on November 18, Coach Perez has high hopes for the future. “We have developed a strong team culture and a winning mentality which has allowed us to overcome challenges and achieve success,” he said. 

On defense, the team was anchored by junior middle linebacker Timothy Tan, who was responsible for making all defensive calls and was one of the league’s leading tacklers. The defense’s performance helped the Tigers hit their stride as the season progressed and more importantly, helped them set the tone for what is expected of their younger teammates and, in doing so, establish a winning culture.

Now with the season over, the coaching staff begins to prepare for next year. Ask the Tiger coaches what needs to improve and they’ll point out the need to strengthen their defense, especially their tackling skills and overall communication. On the offensive side, they hope to develop more consistency which they believe will come with experience and maturity. 

While acknowledging the team’s room for improvement, Coach Perez expressed optimism. “Our team has shown significant development and improvement this year,” he said. “We have a strong core of players and with a little more experience and continued development, I believe we can compete for a championship in the near future.”