The Pilot

The Student News Site of Fort Hamilton High School

The Pilot

The Pilot

Fort Ends 2023 with Annual Winter Concert

Performers at Fort Hamilton High School spread holiday cheer in their live ensemble concerts on December 13th and 14th, 2023. For many Fort music students, this was their first performance.

On Wednesday, the Symphony Orchestra, directed by Mr. Stern, performed renditions of “Organ Fugue in G minor” by J.S. Bach, “Solemn Processional from Symphony #4” by Gustav Mahler, and “Adoration” by Florence Price. 

Afterward, the Vocal Training Chorus, conducted by Mr. Lanaghan, through traditional songs consisting of “The First Snow Falls,” “Birch Tree,” “Brother Martin,” and “Coffee Canon.”

Before intermission, the Symphony Orchestra came back on stage to perform “Impromptu” by Jean Sibelius and “Urban Concerto Grosso” by Brian Balmages.

After the performances, Ms. West conducted the Jazz Band and soloists Anasimone Nagdy, Max Ramanovich, Juan Vasquez, and Nico Bald through “Blue Skies” by Irving Berlin, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by H. Martin and R. Blane, and “Jingle Bells” by James Pierpont. 

“I thought the concert was great for how long the students were practicing,” said sophomore Zhi Rong Chen, who attended the first night.  “My favorite part would probably be the jazz band as they were loud and were very impressive; we could hear the individual instruments. I was impressed with the performers because they were in sync and never fell out of rhythm.” 

Following Nico Bald’s and Juan Vasquez’s solo performances, Mr. Lanaghan brought out Mixed Chorus. They performed “Winter Canon (with In the Bleak Midwinter)” by Thomas Tallis, a traditional Spanish Carol “Riu Riu Chiu,” and “Merry Christmas Mozart,” arranged by Jay Althouse.

Mr. Pietrowski and Ms. West brought the night to a close with the Marching Regiment’s performances of “Eye of the Tiger” by J. Peterik and F. Sullivan III, “Thriller” which was arranged by R. Temperton, J. Bocook, and W. Rapp, and “Right Down Santa Claus Lane” by Dallas Burke.

On Thursday, Mr. Sin directed the Concert Band, welcoming guests with “A Celebration of Hanukkah,” arranged by Howard Rowe and “Ancient Carol Variants (“God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”) by Chris M. Bernotas.

Subsequently, Vocal Training and Chorus, with Ms. Martinez’s conducting, performed a traditional Ghanaian song, “Senwa Dedende,” “Someone You Loved” arranged by Mark Brymer, and “A Sky Full of Stars” arranged by Mac Huff.

Ms. Martinez was pleased with how the performances went.

“The students worked hard and it was evident that they cared about their artistry,” she said. “I am most proud of how the students were able to make meaningful connections in their music-making and portray that to an audience. The point of music is to tell a story and our students definitely shared their interpretation of these various stories.”

Mr. Pietrowski then conducted the Intermediate Band in a performance of “Festive Fanfare” by Brian Balmages and “Byzantine Dances” by Carol Brittin Chambers.

Mr. Lanaghan’s Concert Chorus, led by soloists Midnight Schwab and Sebastien Nicolas Zamy, performed  “Remembering Decembers,” by Pinkzebra. Afterward, they performed “The Little Drummer Boy,” arranged by Harry Simeone and “White Winter Hymnal,” by Robin Pecknold altogether. 

String Orchestra concluded the first half of the show with performances of “Fiddles on Fire” by Mark WIlliams, “Ode to Joy (Theme from “Symphony #9”)” by L.V. Beethoven, and “Orpheus in the Underworld” by J. Offenbach.

Mr. Oberle’s Symphonic Band opened the second half of the concert, performing “The Thunderer March” arranged by James Scott and “October” by Eric Whitacre.

Ms. Martinez introduced the Performing Arts Treble Chorus and soloist Izabella Keegan during their performance of “When The Party’s Over,” arranged by Mac Huff. They then sang a Ukrainian lullaby, “Oy Khodyt Son,” arranged by Sarah Martinez and “The World is Ours,” arranged by Greg Gilpin.

Mr. Oberle came back up on stage with the Symphonic Band and the Performing Arts Treble Chorus to conclude the evening with a performance of “Sleigh Ride” and “A Christmas Festival” by Leroy Anderson and “Christmas ‘POP’ Sing-a-Long,” arranged by Ployhar.

“The winter concert was a really exciting show. My favorite part must have been all of the holiday songs that were played,” said sophomore Elizabeth Dugan. “Mr. Oberle’s band was amazing. I felt their rendition of ‘sleigh ride’ was really well done. It definitely got me in the Christmas spirit.”