The Pilot

The Student News Site of Fort Hamilton High School

The Pilot

The Pilot

Kansas City Chiefs Clinch SuperBowl Victory in Nail-Biting Overtime

Super Bowl LVIII, played on February 11, 2024, featured an interesting rematch of Super Bowl LIV between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers. While many fans were intrigued by the matchup between two dynamic quarterbacks, Brock Purdy of the 49ers and Patrick Mahomes of the Chiefs, numerous factors attracted fans to the biggest game of the year. 

Some tuned in to watch the famous Super Bowl commercials, while others came to watch Usher perform in the halftime show. This year, another legion of fans tuned in to watch pop star Taylor Swift cheer on her boyfriend, Chiefs’ tight end, Travis Kelce. Regardless of why people watched the game, all fans were treated to a nail-biting finish that eventually ended with Patrick Mahomes hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy for the second year in a row after a 25-22 victory worthy of a championship game.

The game started off slowly with a total of 0 points scored in the first quarter. However, the 49ers finally broke through because of 55-yard field goal by Jake Moody. The 49ers extended the lead on a 21-yard reverse TD pass from Jauan Jennings to running back Christian McCaffrey for a 10-0 lead. However, the Chiefs responded with two field goals by kicker Harrison Butker, the latter setting a record for the longest kick (57 yards) in Super Bowl history.

Both teams exchanged touchdown drives, but the 49ers had their point-after blocked, leading to a 16-13 lead. That missed point would come back to haunt them later in the game. Both teams struggled against each other’s relentless defense. Eventually, with the 49ers up by 3, Mahomes orchestrated a game-tying drive to send the game into overtime.

The 49ers won the coin toss but elected to receive the kick, a decision that would ultimately prove controversial as the 49ers could muster only a field goal, setting the stage for Patrick Mahomes to lead his team down the field one more time under the brightest lights. Mahomes’ 3 yard pass to Mecole Hardman sent Chiefs fans into a frenzy and 49ers players and fans wondering how they managed to let yet one more Super Bowl lead slip away. 

One such person is our very own social studies teacher, Mr. Kaminsky, a long-time 49ers fan. Despite the loss, he managed to put a positive spin on a rough day. “While that was a tough loss, the team played hard until the end,” Mr. Kaminsky said. “I’m proud to be a fan and look forward to next season.”

Unsurprisingly, Mahomes was voted Most Valuable Player for the third time in his storied, yet brief career. As the confetti rained down from Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Kelce and Swift kissed, while Chiefs Nation started to look ahead to next season and to the pursuit of something that hasn’t been done in NFL history—a Super Bowl three-peat.