The Pilot

The Student News Site of Fort Hamilton High School

The Pilot

The Pilot

Fort Hamilton’s UNICEF Club Vows to Fight For Every Child

UNICEF, or the United Nations Children’s Fund, is an international organization whose reach extends across 190 countries. Its goal is to extend security to the world’s most disadvantaged children who have been affected by violence, poverty, exploitation, or a general lack of resources that allow children to thrive. With the help of ambitious students, UNICEF was able to expand its influence into classrooms through its UNICEF Clubs initiative, which has made its way to Fort Hamilton High School.

Junior Koey Mei decided to start the school’s chapter of UNICEF after noticing the influence UNICEF had across European communities. She wanted to bring the movement to her own school. 

“I wanted to foster a community passionate about advocating for children’s rights because if they can’t fight for themselves, who will?” she told The Pilot.

UNICEF Club calls itself “a growing movement rooted in a belief that young people have a vital role to play in helping the world’s children.” This generation is the first where teens have the ability to see injustice happen against the world’s children on their cell phones, which has prompted many to take a stand. 

Vice President of Fort’s  UNICEF chapter, Zarmeen Shah, believes UNICEF is her way of making the world a little bit better. “As a kid it’s been drilled into my head to speak out when you see injustice happening in the world and being a part of this club lets me do just that,” Shah said. 

Over the last four months, Fort Hamilton’s UNICEF chapter has placed an emphasis on providing aid for Gaza’s children, tens of thousands of whom have been killed since Israel began airstrikes. In Gaza, all 350,000 children under the age of five are susceptible to malnutrition. To many students at Fort Hamilton, seeing these events unfold in Gaza has prompted them to join the movement for change.

“We do our best to teach people the facts of what’s happening, whether it’s by speaking directly to our club members, or sharing articles and news reports of the situation,” Shah said. “We are always trying to educate not only ourselves, but all the people who choose to listen.” 

Not only does the club serve to educate, but also to take action. “Every day, UNICEF members try to provide life-saving supplies and services for children and families,” Mei, the president of Fort’s UNICEF chapter, said. “However, it is increasingly challenging considering the conditions in Gaza. We hear the voices of the Fort Hamilton students, and with our fundraisers and donations, we hope to allocate a portion of our funds to the children in Gaza and West Bank.”

Within their first few months, the club has raised over five hundred dollars, through their various fundraisers and events. Through collaborating with many clubs, working with local businesses, selling concessions, and raising money during their meets, junior Victoria Marie Robles says, “It’s evident that they do everything in their power to fundraise.”

“One of my favorite clubs to attend each week is UNICEF,” junior Emily Guo remarked.  “Their e-board creates a comfortable environment, so everyone can have an enjoyable time. They also have fundraisers that involve great activities; my favorite being when we did henna designs!”

In addition to their henna event, the club hosted a slime-making event, an arts and crafts session, and a card-making event in collaboration with Calligraphy Club, in which students made cards to send to Heart of Dinner, an organization supporting Asian American senior citizens in New York City. Club members were also invited to represent Fort Hamilton High School at conferences led by the Harvard UNICEF chapter and UNICEF. 

“We also aspire to care for our mental health, so we look forward to participating in our future activities to take time and care for ourselves,” Mei said.  “As a new club, we are still establishing customs and exploring what we can do. However, we plan to dedicate more time to lending a hand to our community and others in need.”

Mei, who is known by her peers for her passionate altruism, puts into words what UNICEF means to her. “The UNICEF Club is not just a school club for me. Instead, I find it a welcoming community—a collection of brilliant and empowering minds with the same mission of helping others in need. The UNICEF organization has always held a special place in my heart, even since I was a little kid walking around with my Trick-Or-Treat for UNICEF Box.

“So, establishing and leading a club representing UNICEF is a dream-fulfilling opportunity. I find the connection we fostered between Fort Hamilton High School and UNICEF to be beautiful, and I cannot wait to keep advocating on behalf of UNICEF. This club has opened hundreds of opportunities for us, and our community is one I cannot see myself finding elsewhere. I value this club wholeheartedly and cannot thank our supportive staff and peers enough.”

Fort Hamilton High School can expect more collaborations, events, and fundraisers from UNICEF in the near future.

“The Fort Hamilton UNICEF community is filled with amazing people who want to see change take place in our lifetime and I’m grateful to be here for the ride,” Shah added. 

Students from Fort Hamilton High School’s UNICEF club and from all around the globe will not give up the fight to make the world a better place for every child.

Donate to UNICEF here: https://www.unicefusa.org/stories/children-conflict-urgent-help-needed?form=FUNHAFZDMVA